Corriere Illustrato, Domenica, La Spedizione Andrée
- 1899 March 5
Conditions Governing Use
Access to the Theodore Newton Vail Collection of Aeronautical Images, Broadsides and Clippings is not authorization to publish. Separate written application for permission to publish must be made to the Institute Archives. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection.
Biographical / Historical
Biographical / Historical
Salomon August Andrée was a Swedish Aeronaut who undertook an ill-fated Arctic expedition in his balloon the Örnen (Eagle). With companions Nils Strindberg and Knut Fraenkel, Andrée lifted off from Svalbard on July 11, 1897. A few positive communications were received via carrier pigeons, but a series of mishaps downed the balloon and the men were never heard from again. For 33 years it remained a mystery what had happened to the aeronauts, until in 1930, the discovery of the expedition's last camp site uncovered photographs and diaries that allowed the entire story of the Andrée expedition to be pieced together at last.
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Originals
8 pages; 45.9 x 31.7 cm
Italian newspaper with an article about the fatal North Pole balloon expedition of Salomon Andrée (on page 165). An accompanying illustration shows the balloon sailing over icebergs, with an inset image of the explorer Andrée, and an illustration of the interior of the balloon car (cross-section).
Sources used for Biographical/Historical note
Hallion, Richard P., Taking Flight: inventing the aerial age from antiquity through the First World War (New York, Oxford University Press), 79.
Rolt, L.T.C., The Aeronauts: A History of Ballooning 1783-1903 (Walker, New York, 1966), 152-158.
Svenska sallskapet for antropologi och geografi, Salomon August Andrée, Nils Strindberg, and Edward Adams-Ray. Andrée's story; the complete record of his polar flight, 1897, from the diaries and journals of S.A. Andrée, Nils Strindberg, and K. Frænkel, found on White Island in the summer of 1930. (New York: Viking Press, 1930).
- Accidents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Andreé, Salomon August, 1854-1897
- Ballooning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Explorers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frænkel, Knut, 1870-1897
- North Pole Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rope Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Strindberg, Nils, 1872-1897
- clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- prints (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US