Il Secolo Illustrato, Domenica 25 Luglio 1897
- 1897 July 25
Conditions Governing Use
Access to the Theodore Newton Vail Collection of Aeronautical Images, Broadsides and Clippings is not authorization to publish. Separate written application for permission to publish must be made to the Institute Archives. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection.
Biographical / Historical
Salomon August Andrée was a Swedish Aeronaut who undertook an ill-fated Arctic expedition in his balloon the Örnen (Eagle). With companions Nils Strindberg and Knut Fraenkel, Andrée lifted off from Svalbard on July 11, 1897. A few positive communications were received via carrier pigeons, but a series of mishaps downed the balloon and the men were never heard from again. For 33 years it remained a mystery what had happened to the aeronauts, until in 1930, the discovery of the expedition's last camp site uncovered photographs and diaries that allowed the entire story of the Andrée expedition to be pieced together at last.
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Originals
8 pages; 31.3 x 45.0 cm
Issue of the Italian newspaper "Il Secolo Illustrato" with a front page illustration showing S.A. Andrée’s balloon sailing over a seaside town with guide rope attached. An inset illustration shows a portrait of Andrée. The accompanying article is on page 238.
Il Secolo Illustrato
Sources used for Biographical/Historical note
Hallion, Richard P., Taking Flight: inventing the aerial age from antiquity through the First World War (New York, Oxford University Press), 79.
Rolt, L.T.C., The Aeronauts: A History of Ballooning 1783-1903 (Walker, New York, 1966), 152-158.
Svenska sallskapet for antropologi och geografi, Salomon August Andrée, Nils Strindberg, and Edward Adams-Ray. Andrée's story; the complete record of his polar flight, 1897, from the diaries and journals of S.A. Andrée, Nils Strindberg, and K. Frænkel, found on White Island in the summer of 1930. (New York: Viking Press, 1930).
- Andreé, Salomon August, 1854-1897
- Balloonists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Crowds Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Explorers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frænkel, Knut, 1870-1897
- North Pole Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Polar regions Discovery and exploration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Strindberg, Nils, 1872-1897
- clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- prints (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- townscapes (representations) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US