Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection
Scope and Contents
The primary reference material is the job information. In particular, the job files (boxes 7-9) are used most often in research. Job files list specific information for each job performed by the studio.
For more information, including access to the digital content of the collection, please visit the collection website.
- 1905 - 2012
- Connick, Charles J. (Charles Jay) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Connick founded his own studio in 1912 in Boston. The Charles J. Connick Studio performed work for churches, synagogues, schools, hospitals, public buildings and private homes in cities across the United States and in several other countries. When Connick died in 1945, the worker-owned studio continued as Charles J. Connick Associates under the supervision of Orin E. Skinner in Boston's Back Bay until closing in 1987.
The Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation was created to preserve the Connick tradition of stained glass. At the same time, items from the studio were donated to the Boston Public Library's Fine Arts Department to form Charles J. Connick Studio Collection. In 2008, the Foundation donated its own collection of stained glass windows, designs, cartoons, slides, documents, periodicals, and other items to the MIT Libraries. The collection was processed over three years from March 2009 to May 2012.
Language of Materials
Series 1. Charles J. Connick and Connick Studio documents
Series 2. Charles J. Connick Studio and Associates job information
Series 3. Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation documents
Series 4. Charles J. Connick and Connick Studio media
Series 5. Charles J. Connick and Connick Studio collected text
Series 6. Charles J. Connick Studio and Associates subcollections
Series 7. Charles J. Connick Studio and Associates studio hardware
Series 8. Charles J. Connick Studio and Associates supplementary art materials
Series 9. Charles J. Connick Studio and Associates stained glass works
Series 10. Charles J. Connick Studio and Associates works on paper
Existence and Location of Copies
Processing Information note
- Guide to the Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection
- Jeremy Grubman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021 July 12: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements and to remove aggrandizing terms in the biographical note description.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US