Hermann A. Haus papers
Scope and Contents
The collection documents the activities of Hermann Anton Haus, an Institute Professor emeritus at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) spanning the years of 1985 to 2003.
Materials include: correspondence, course notes, presentations, awards, photographs, videotapes.
- 1985 - 2003
- Haus, Hermann A. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
Hermann Anton Haus, 1925-2003, was Institute Professor emeritus at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He received a BS from Union College and MS from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He earned his ScD from MIT in 1954. Following his graduation, he joined MIT as assistant professor of electrical engineering. He became associate professor in 1958 and full professor in 1962. He became the Elihu Thompson Professor in 1973 and Institute Professor in 1986. Haus retired from the faculty in 2001. (1)
Haus conducted extensive research on quantum noise in optical systems and the generation of ultra-short optical pulses. His work contributed to the development of fiber-optic, undersea cables that provide rapid communications between America, Europe, and Asia. He was a member of the National Academy of Engineering and the National Academy of Science. Haus received the Optical Society of America’s Frederic Ives Medal. In 1995, he received the National Medal of Science from President Clinton. (2)
(1) “Hermann A. Haus | OSA History | The Optical Society.” Accessed August 31, 2020. https://www.osa.org/en-us/history/biographies/bios/hermann_a_haus/.
(2) MIT News | Massachusetts Institute of Technology. “MIT Professor Hermann Haus Dies at 77; Was Pioneer in Optical Communications.” Accessed August 31, 2020. https://news.mit.edu/2003/haus.
34 Cubic Feet (34 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Haus, Hermann A.
- Institute Professors Subject Source: Local sources
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Haus, Hermann A. (Person)
- Transfer list to the Papers of Hermann A. Haus
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2020 August: Biographical note by Grace Johnson-DeBaufre added.
- 2021 July 9: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US