George Charles Manning papers
Scope and Contents
The George Charles Manning papers, which date between 1889 to 1942, comprise Naval Architecture files including specifications, blueprints, correspondence, testing for Bureau of Standards, ship design, and marine insurance. The collection also includes a manuscript of Fundamentals of Naval Architecture by Manning and a mixture of teaching material and professional papers.
- Creation: 1889 - 1942
- Manning, George Charles, 1892-1964 (Person)
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
George Charles Manning, 1892-1964, graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1920 with his SM in Naval Architecture. He worked at MIT as a Lecturer in the Department of Naval Architecture from 1936 to 1938, a faculty member from 1938 to 1939 and 1941 to 1958. (1) He was acting head of the department in 1951 (2) and was Emeritus from 1958 to 1964.
In 1956, MIT Press published the book The Theory and Technique of Ship Design: A Study of the Basic Principles and the Processes Employed in the Design of Ships of All Classes by Manning. (3)
1. MIT Museum. "Manning, George Charles." Accessed December 23, 2020. https://webmuseum.mit.edu/detail.php?module=people&type=browse&id=1&term=Manning&page=1&kv=10945&record=1&module=people.
2. MIT Distinctive Collections. “Department of Ocean Engineering | MIT History.” Accessed December 23, 2020. https://libraries.mit.edu/mithistory/research/schools-and-departments/school-of-engineering/department-of-ocean-engineering/.
3. The MIT Press. “George C. Manning.” The MIT Press. Accessed December 23, 2020. https://category-theory.mitpress.mit.edu/contributors/george-c-manning.
4 Cubic Feet (4 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Preliminary Inventory to the Papers of George Charles Manning
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2020 December: Biographical note by Greta Kuriger Suiter added.
- 2021 November 22: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US