A. Douglas Carmichael papers
Scope and Contents
- 1960 - 2004
- Carmichael, A. Douglas (Person)
Conditions Governing Use
Carmichael specialized in gas and steam turbines, applied mechanics, and power and propulsion systems. In 1974, he and students in the summer laboratory of the Sea Grant Program developed the first MIT autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV), which could be programmed to perform oceanographic research. (2)
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Report of the President for the Academic Year 1969-1970, Reports to the President, 1971, http://dome.mit.edu/handle/1721.3/59051.
2. Alissa Mallinson, “Professor A. Douglas Carmichael, Leading Ocean Engineer, Passes Away at 86,” MIT MechE, March 22, 2016, http://meche.mit.edu/news-media/professor-douglas-carmichael-leading-ocean-engineer-passes-away-86.
13 Cubic Feet (13 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Processing Information note
- Transfer List to the Papers of A. Douglas Carmichael
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2020 May: Biographical note by Grace Johnson-DeBaufre added.
- 2021 November 19: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US