C. Forbes Dewey, Jr. personal archives
Scope and Contents
The collection documents the professional activites of C. Forbes Dewey, Jr. during 1978 to 2015.
The Conference Materials and Courses series contain digital files related to presentations and academic instruction by Dewey. Other materials include proposals and commercial files.
- 1978 - 2015
- 1996 - 2016
- Dewey, C. Forbes, Jr. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Folders "SMA-II" and "MIT SUBJECTS" are restricted for 75 years.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
C. Forbes Dewey, Jr. is Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Biological Engineering Emeritus and Co-Director of the International Consortium for Medical Imaging Technology (ICMIT) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He received his BS in mechanical engineering from Yale University, MS from Stanford, and a PhD from Caltech. He became an associate professor of mechanical engineering at MIT in 1968 (1), professor in 1976 (2), professor of mechanical engineering and bioengineering in 1998, professor of mechanical engineering and biological engineering in 2005, and professor emeritus in 2017. He was Head of the Hatsopoulos Microfluids Laboratory at MIT from 2001 to 2003 (3), and a Member of the faculty Health Sciences & Technology, Harvard and MIT from 1983 to 2003. (4)
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology Office of the President. “Report of the President 1968,” 1968. http://dome.mit.edu/handle/1721.3/59049.
2. ———. “Report of the President and the Chancellor Issue 1975-1976,” 1976. http://dome.mit.edu/handle/1721.3/59057.
3. “MECHE PEOPLE: C. Forbes Dewey | MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering.” Accessed May 22, 2020. http://firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. MIT Biological Engineering Directory. "C. Forbes Dewey, Jr. PhD." Accessed May 22, 2020. https://be.mit.edu/directory/c-forbes-dewey-jr
8 Cubic Feet (8 record cartons)
2 Gigabytes (2,098 digital files)
Language of Materials
Series are arranged according to donor indications. Digital files are arranged according to original received order.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Files in folder "UNOPENABLE PPT" can be opened using LibreOffice Impress software. All other PowerPoint files can be opened with current PowerPoint software.
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
A small collection of materials, assembed by C. Forbes Dewy which herald the sequencing of the human genome, has been gathered in the Department of Distinctive Collections special publications noncirculating collection, under the call number QH447.C645.2001. Includes two journal issues and three broadside supplements (Nature and Science February 2001)
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
Digital materials were processed by intern Lana Mason. Files were left in their original received order.
- Dewey, C. Forbes, Jr.
- Mechanical engineering -- Study and teaching. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dewey, C. Forbes, Jr. (Person)
- In Progress
- Lana Mason
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021 September 15: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US