Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Mining Engineering curricula
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The collection contains Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Department of Mining Engineering undergraduate examinations in the subjects of mining engineering, geophysical prospecting, fire assaying, metallurgy, metallography, and radiography covering the period 1900 to 1943. There is a volume of student papers (class of 1888), and a set of course notes.
Also included are Mining Engineering department circulars describing course offerings and span the years 1889 to 1928. The 1896, 1904 and 1928 circulars contain black and white photographs of department laboratories.
- 1888 - 1943
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
The Department of Mining Engineering and Metallurgy began in 1865 as the Department of Geology and Mining. In 1889, after a series of name changes and curriuculum changes, the study of metallurgy was formally absorbed and the department became the Department of Mining Engineering and Metallurgy. As time passed, the name changed again several times and two distinct departments emerged: Geology and Metallurgy. The most recent change came in 1975 when the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Science became the Department of Materials Science and Engineering (Course 3).
1.3 Cubic Feet ((1 record carton, 1 manuscript boxes) )
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
- Bever, Michael. Metallurgy and Materials Science and Engineering at MIT: 1865-1988.
- Shrock, Robert R. Geology at M.I.T., 1865-1965: A History of the First Hundred Years of Geology at M.I.T. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1977.
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Department of Mining Engineering -- Examinations
- academic affairs Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- academic departments Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- administration of employees Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- administration of students Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- curricula Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Guide to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of Mining Engineering Curricula, 1895-1939
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US