Skip to main content

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for International Studies records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: AC-0236

Scope and Contents of the Collection

Series 1 includes directors' files of Center for International Studies (CIS) activities, including conferences, fund raising efforts, faculty appointments, general correspondence about CIS programs, office space and staffing, research programs, seminars, and workshops. Series 2 contains correspondence, background information, drafts and reports of CIS projects and studies, including arms control, 1963-1964; comparative environment, 1972-1974; energy project, 1972-1975; India, 1953-1974; international nutrition planning program, 1972-1975; and limited war studies, 1965-1967.

Dates

  • 1952 - 1986

Creator

Access note

The collection is open for research; however, in accordance with MIT policy, there are restrictions on access to some of the records.

Intellectual Property Rights

Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Separate written application for permission to publish must be made to Distinctive Collections. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the creating office.

Historical note

The Center for International Studies (CIS) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was founded in 1952 to conduct social science research to help policymakers better understand and respond to international events. The Center grew out of Project Troy, a 1950 multidisciplinary summer study on the problem of Russian jamming of US radio signals. A part of the School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, the Center includes 160 members of the MIT faculty and staff, mainly from the departments of political science and urban studies, and visiting scholars from around the world. The Center sponsors formal programs, multidisciplinary working groups and public events. While CIS does not offer teaching programs, the Center's faculty and staff engage with students as colleagues in research, audiences in public events, and enthusiastic participants in the MISTI international internship program.

Center for International Studies directors: Max Franklin Millikan, 1952-1969; Everett Einer Hagen, 1970-1971; Eugene B. Skolnikoff, 1972-1987; Myron Weiner, 1988-1992; Kenneth Oye, 1992-2000; and Richard J. Samuels, 2000-present.

Extent

41.3 Cubic Feet ((40 record cartons, 4 manuscript boxes) )

Abstract

The Center for International Studies (CIS) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was founded in 1952 to conduct social science research to help policymakers better understand and respond to international events. The Center grew out of Project Troy, a 1950 multidisciplinary summer study on the problem of Russian jamming of US radio signals. The collection documents CIS activities in correspondence; conference and committee records; and proposals and project files. Also included are reports and working papers.

Location

Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.

Related Materials in the Institute Archives and Special Collections

MIT. Office of the President, records of Karl Taylor Compton and James Rhyne Killian, 1930-1959 (AC 4)

MIT. Office of the Chancellor, records of Julius A. Stratton as provost, vice president and provost, and chancellor, 1949-1957 (AC 132)

Max F. Millikan papers (MC 188)

Ithiel de Sola Pool papers (MC 440)

Processing Information note

Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
Title
Guide to the Records of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Center for International Studies
Status
Ready For Review
Author
Partially processed by Anna Koch
Date
1990
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository

Contact:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
Building 14N-118
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US