Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Graduate Student Council records
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The collection includes correspondence, reports, budgets, and schedules pertaining to graduate student orientations, parties, dances, outings, and other social events; also includes correspondence regarding the Muddy Charles Pub (operated by GSC), recognition and funding of graduate student clubs and activities, and nominations to and contributions of graduate students on Institute committees, including advocacy of improved housing and academic policies.
The only digital files in this collection are 3.5 inch floppy disk found in folder “GSC HCA Survey, Final Report, Coded Data, Floppy Disk, 1989”. It consists of word processing files, Lotus 1-2-3 Worksheets, and a StratGraphics Data File.
- 1953 - 2001
- MIT Graduate Student Council (Organization)
This collection must be reviewed to identify any restricted material before access can be granted. Please submit your requests at least ten business days before your desired visit to allow time for this review. An archivist will respond within five business days to let you know whether your requested material is open. For complete information on this policy, see our Statement on Accessing Institute Records.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
The Graduate Student Council (GSC) was created in 1953 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as the official representative body of graduate students. It includes delegates from all MIT departments and graduate living groups. Its role on campus is to ensure that the perspective of graduate students is expressed when decisions concerning their welfare are made, to promote extracurricular activities for graduate students, and to assist in their orientation when they arrive at the Institute as new students. The GSC advises various offices at MIT, including the Graduate School Office (on academic matters) and the Office of the Dean for Student Affairs (on the quality of graduate student life).
13 Cubic Feet (13 record cartons)
.629 Megabytes (5 digital files)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Digital files found on 3.5 inch floppy disk in the collection and transferred of the media by digital archivist, Joe Carrano, in 2022 March.
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
Data transferred from 3.5 inch floppy disk by digital archivist, Joe Carrano, found in folder “GSC HCA Survey, Final Report, Coded Data, Floppy Disk, 1989”. Unable to image successfully to MFM image format, he used the Kryoflux software to create a raw flux image. He loaded the flux image into HxC Floppy Emulator and exported a FAT12 disk image. Once he extracted the files with tsk_recover, the disk images were deleted.
- MIT Graduate Student Council
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Graduate School. Office of the Dean
- Student participation in administration. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- campus activities and participatory groups Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- graduate students Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- recreation Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- student life Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Preliminary Inventory to the Records of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Graduate Student Council
- Ready For Review
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2022 March: Digital archivist, Joe Carrano, edited notes, extent, and listing to reflect 2022-051 digital media transfer accession.
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 13 (Mixed Materials)
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US