Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Corporation, Executive Committee minutes
Scope and Contents of the Collection
Louis W. Tappan served as secretary of each committee and he recorded the minutes of both in the same volume.
The first entry of minutes for a meeting of the Executive Committee, October 22, 1883, follows the last entry for the Committee on the School of Industrial Science.
Minutes were recorded at first by hand in bound volumes. Beginning with the minutes of October 8, 1901, minutes were typewritten. Individual indexes were created for each volume from volume 2 through volume 11, covering the period October 4, 1887, to December 1, 1963.
Minutes in series 1 of this collection are the official record of Executive Committee meetings. Meeting packets sent to Executive Committee members prior to a meeting can be found in series 3 of this collection through June 2004. They contain copies of previous meeting minutes and background materials for meeting discussion; they date from 1970. After June 2004 mailings and minutes are filed together in series 1.
- 1866 to 2017
- Majority of material found within 1883 - 2017
Intellectual Property Rights
At the October 10, 1883, Corporation meeting Henry B. Rogers, Augustus Lowell, Alexander S. Wheeler, Louis W. Tappan, and Francis Williams were voted as the five additional members of the first Executive Committee. The Executive Committee was to have responsibility for the “general administration and superintendence” of all matters relating to the School. In addition, the Executive Committee was to appoint the president, treasurer, and professors and teachers, subject to the confirmation of the larger Corporation.(1) The Executive Committee met for the first time on October 22, 1883.(2)
The Executive Committee meets ten times each academic year and is one of four standing committees of the Institute. The Executive Committee consists of the chair of the Corporation, president, and treasurer (ex officio members), up to five members and two rotating members, and the chair of the Investment Management Company Board, ex officio. The president is the chair of the Executive Committee. The bylaws outline the current duties of the Executive Committee.(3)
(1) MIT. Corporation Minutes, April 11, May 23, May 29, October 10, 1883. Institute Archives & Special Collections, collection AC 278, box 1.
(2) MIT. Executive Committee Minutes, October 22, 1883. Institute Archives & Special Collections, collection AC 272, box 1.
45 Cubic Feet ((134 manuscript boxes, 18 reels of microfilm in 4 microfilm boxes) )
1.953 Gigabytes (612 digital files)
Language of Materials
Location of Copies
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Corporation. Executive Committee
- academic affairs Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- advisory bodies Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- faculty Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- governing bodies Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- trustees Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- visiting committees Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Guide to the Minutes of the Executive Committee of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Corporation
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021 March 15: Digital archivist, Joe Carrano, added collection level digital extent for 2015-032, 2018-038, 2018-069, 2020-017
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US