Skip to main content

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, School of Industrial Management, Office of the Dean records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: AC-0336

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The collection consists of records of the Office of the Dean of the School of Industrial Management (SIM) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1951-1966, created by Deans Edward Pennell Brooks (1952-1959) and Howard Wesley Johnson (1960-1966).

The collection contains correspondence pertaining to the establishment of a school of industrial management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; SIM Advisory Council minutes; and speeches by Brooks about the planning of the school and the science of industrial management. Correspondents include Vannevar Bush, James R. Killian, Jr., Alfred P. Sloan, Jr., Julius A. Stratton, the faculty of other management schools, and industrial leaders.

Dates

  • 1951 - 1966

Creator

Access note

This collection is open.

Conditions Governing Use

Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.

Historical note

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology School of Industrial Management grew out of Course XV, Engineering Administration, which was established in 1914 within the Department of Economics and Statistics. In 1930 Course XV became an independent department and was named the Department of Business and Engineering Administration.

In 1950 the Sloan Foundation made a gift of over five million dollars to establish a School of Industrial Management (SIM), including a newly refurbished building. The concept of the school was the idea of Alfred P. Sloan, Jr. (class of 1895), who was interested in further developing the close association between science and industry. Sloan sought to correlate the complex problems of management in modern technical industry with science, engineering, and research.

Edward Pennell Brooks (class of 1917), who had replaced Erwin Haskell Schell as head of Course XV in 1951, became the first dean of the new SIM. The school opened its new building, E52, in May 1952. A grant from the Sloan Foundation in 1952 provided funds exclusively for research and exploration in the field of Industrial Management. For the first few years the school focused on developing its mission and attracting faculty members. The demand for short, ad hoc courses for upper level managers remained consistently high following World War II and the school continued to broaden its curriculum for management training. In June of 1953 a second one year program for executive development was initiated. Also in 1953 the faculty and administration began to experiment with shorter executive training courses and offered an intensive three week course titled Control Problems for the Executive. In March of 1956 Dean Brooks felt the school had sufficient staff and quarters (MIT's newly acquired Endicott House was to be used as housing) to offer a ten week pilot course. The course became the Program for Senior Executives. Two years later, the Greater Boston Executive Program was initiated.

In 1959 Howard Johnson became dean of the school. The following year the school initiated its doctoral program in industrial management. Studies in the program were divided into two broad categories. The first included the disciplines of economics, psychology, applied mathematics, and statistical analysis. The second category included applied management subjects such as production, marketing, finance, and organization. In 1963 a grant from the Sloan Foundation permitted the school to offer doctoral fellowships to attract outstanding young managers to careers in business and research and thereby create a pool of educators both for future management professionals and for serious research in the field. Candidates were required to hold a master's degree and have several years of significant and successful experience in business, industry, or government.

In 1964 the school was renamed the Alfred P. Sloan School of Management, after its benefactor. Throughout the 1960s short executive development programs, aimed specifically at the transfer of modern techniques in areas of specialized concern, grew in popularity.

From History of the Sloan School of Management http://libraries.mit.edu/mithistory/research/schools-and-departments/sloan-school-of-management/

Extent

2 Cubic Feet (2 record cartons)

Language of Materials

English

Location

Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.

Processing Information note

Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.

Title
Preliminary Inventory to the Records of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology School of Industrial Management Office of the Dean
Status
Ready For Review
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository

Contact:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
Building 14N-118
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US