Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Francis A. Walker Memorial Service Committee records
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The collection consists of letters accepting and declining invitations to attend a memorial service for MIT President Francis Amasa Walker held in October 1897. Also included is a record book “report” created by the committee to document the planning of the memorial service.
- 1897 - 1897
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
The Walker Memorial Committee was formed in 1897 to arrange the memorial exercises for MIT President Francis A. Walker (1840-1897). The committee members included representatives from the MIT Corporation, the faculty, the alumni, and the student body. They were as follows:
James M. Crafts (Corporation) Francis H. Williams (Corporation) John R. Freeman, Esq. (Corporation) James P. Munroe, Esq. (Corporation) William T. Sedgwick (Faculty) Davis R. Dewey (Faculty) Henry M. Howe, Esq. (Alumni) Wilfred Bancroft, Esq. (Students)
Biographical and administrative information about Francis A. Walker can be found in MC 298, Francis Amasa Walker papers,1862-1897, and AC 13, MIT Office of the President records, 1897-1930, which are available at the Institute Archives and Special Collections.
0.2 Cubic Feet (1 half manuscript box)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Francis A. Walker Memorial Service Committee
- Walker, Francis Amasa, 1840-1897
- advisory bodies Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- memorial services Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- planning Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Guide to the Records of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Francis A. Walker Memorial Service Committee
- Ready For Review
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US