Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of General Science and Engineering student records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains student records kept by the Department of General Science and Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) from 1930-1960.
- 1930 - 1960
Conditions Governing Access
This collection requires permission for access. Records are restricted for 75 years from the date of creation. Contact Distinctive Collections for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
The Department of General Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Course IX, was established in 1904 to provide a broad scientific education. It was especially adapted to meet the needs of future secondary school science teachers and students planning a business career. In 1920 an option in General Engineering was added which permitted students to graduate with a degree in both programs. In 1957 the decision was made to discontinue Course IX, and administration of the course was split between the Schools of Science and Engineering until the last student graduated in 1959. Heads of the department, who reported to a committee of the faculty, included Clarence L. E. Moore, 1925-1931; Ralph Gorton Hudson, 1932-1950; and John Thomas Rule, 1950-1957.
5 Cubic Feet (5 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed collection inventory is available to staff in the MIT ArchivesSpace staff interface.
In spring 2021, this finding aid was revised as part of a project to publish previously unpublished finding aids. The finding aid was brought up to minimum description standards and any personally identifying information in the description was removed.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Department of General Science and Engineering
- academic affairs Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- academic departments Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- administration of students Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- undergraduates Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Inventory to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of General Science and Engineering Student Records
- Staff Use Only
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements and to remove personally identifying information from the description.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US