Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Walker Memorial Gymnasium Committee Ledgers
Select item to request
Scope and Contents
The collection includes four account ledger books maintained by the Walker Memorial Gymnasium Committee, spanning the years 1899 to 1918.
- Creation: 1899 - 1918
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
The Walker Memorial Gymnasium Committee was appointed in 1899 to secure subscriptions from MIT alumni and local society representatives for a new memorial gymnasium on the Boston campus. The committee also sought to garner support for the gymnasium from the MIT Corporation, faculty, and undergraduates. The need for a new gymnasium arose when the Institute’s lease on the grounds of the old gymnasium on Exeter Street in Back Bay expired. Rather than simply move the gymnasium, members of the committee believed that the Institute was in need not only of a new gymnasium, but also of a fitting tribute to the late President Walker, who had died two years earlier in 1897. Walker had promoted physical exercise, and the gymnasium that the committee envisioned was well-rounded, providing space for running, rowing, swimming, and games.
The new gymnasium was completed in December of 1905 and stood on Garrison Street in Back Bay, Boston. In 1916, when MIT’s campus moved from Back Bay to its present-day location in Cambridge, the gymnasium moved along with it to its new home in the newly-erected Walker Memorial Building (Building 50) at 142 Memorial Drive.
Members of the Walker Memorial Gymnasium Committee were appointed by the Executive Committee of the Alumni Association. The members of the 1899 committee were Robert H. Richards (Class of 1868 and first Alumni Association president), Thomas Hibbard (Class of 1875), Harry W. Tyler, Everett Morss (Class of 1885), William B. Thurber (Class of 1889), Edward Cunningham (Class of 1891), Albert F. Bemis (Class of 1893), and Benjamin Hurd (Class of 1896).
0.4 Cubic Feet (1 legal manuscript box)
Language of Materials
The Walker Memorial Gymnasium Committee was appointed in 1899 to secure subscriptions from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) alumni and local representatives for a new memorial gymnasium on the Boston campus, to be built as a tribute to the late MIT president Francis Amasa Walker. The committee also sought to garner support for the gymnasium from the MIT Corporation, faculty, and undergraduates. The collection includes four account ledger books maintained by the Walker Memorial Gymnasium Committee, spanning the years 1899 to 1918.
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
- Guide to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Walker Memorial Gymnasium Committee Ledgers, 1899-1918
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021 October 8: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US