Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Architecture faculty records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains faculty records kept by the Department of Architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- circa 1970-1995
Conditions Governing Access
This collection requires permission for access. Records are restricted for 75 years from the date of creation. Contact Distinctive Collections for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s first professor of architecture was William R. Ware, appointed in the fall of 1865 when MIT first opened. Funds were supplied partly by MIT and partly from private sources for Ware to visit Europe to examine educational programs and purchase supplies. Much of the funding was provided by Ware’s friends in the town of Milton, Mass., in return for an annual scholarship to be awarded by MIT to a graduate of Milton High School.
The course in architecture opened in October 1868, with classes held in the Rogers Building on Boylston Street in Boston, Mass. The program was designed to provide a broad and general education for architects.
In 1883 the department moved into a new building on the corner of Boylston and Clarendon Streets which it shared with the chemistry and physics departments. In 1892 the department moved again into the newly built Architectural Building, designed by department head Francis Ward Chandler, on the corner of Stuart and Clarendon Streets. The building included a laboratory for testing materials as well as a library. In 1898 the department moved again into the Pierce Building at Trinity Place. Crowding was alleviated in 1916 when most of MIT moved to the new campus in Cambridge, Mass., leaving the Rogers Building on Boylston Street to the Department of Architecture.
In 1932 the School of Architecture was established as part of the general academic reorganization of the Institute proposed by President Karl T. Compton. The Department of Architecture remained the only department in the school until joined by City and Regional Planning in 1947.
In 1938 the School and Department of Architecture moved from Boston to Cambridge to rejoin the rest of the campus.
MIT History, Department of Architecture, 2020.
15 Cubic Feet (15 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed collection inventory is available to staff in the collection control file.
In spring 2021, this finding aid was revised as part of a project to publish previously unpublished finding aids. The finding aid was brought up to minimum description standards and any personally identifying information in the description was removed.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Department of Architecture
- academic departments Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- administration of employees Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- faculty Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Staff Use Only
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements and to remove personally identifying information from the description.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US