Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Chemical Engineering faculty and staff personnel records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of personnel records of faculty and some academic staff kept by the Department of Chemical Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) from 1968-1992. Materials includes letters of appointment, salary information, curricula vitae, correspondence, writings and publications, and termination forms.
- 1968 - 1992
Conditions Governing Access
This collection requires permission for access. Records are restricted for 75 years from the date of creation. Contact Distinctive Collections for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
In 1888 Lewis Mills Norton established a program in chemical engineering, Course X, in the Department of Chemistry at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which eventually became the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. In July 1920 Chemical Engineering became a separate department.
The School of Chemical Engineering Practice was established in 1916 to provide students with practical experience in industrial facilities. MIT practice stations were established at industrial plants where students worked on projects but remained under the supervision of the MIT resident staff and director. Since its founding, the practice school has operated about twenty stations.
In 1951 a division of nuclear engineering was established in the Department of Chemical Engineering. This division became the Department of Nuclear Engineering in 1958.
2 Cubic Feet (2 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed collection inventory is available to staff in the MIT ArchivesSpace staff interface.
In spring 2021, this finding aid was revised as part of a project to publish previously unpublished finding aids. The finding aid was brought up to minimum description standards and any personally identifying information in the description was removed.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Department of Chemical Engineering
- academic affairs Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- academic departments Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- administration of students Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- personnel records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Preliminary Inventory to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of Chemical Engineering Faculty and Staff Personnel Records
- Preliminary Inventory
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements and to remove personally identifying information from the description.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US