Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Meteorology faculty records
Scope and Contents
This collection comprises files on faculty members maintained by the Department of Meteorology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) from 1938 to 1992. Official personnel files are kept by the Department of Human Resources.
- 1938 - 1992
All materials in this collection are restricted for 75 years from their date of creation.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
Meteorological study began at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the summer of 1928 in the Department of Aeronautical Engineering under a three-year grant from the Daniel Guggenheim Fund for the Promotion of Aeronautics. Carl-Gustaf Rossby began the study of meteorology and physical oceanography when he was appointed to the faculty of the Department of Aeronautics in 1928. Graduate instruction began in the fall of 1928, and undergraduate instruction was offered from 1944 to 1957.
Meteorology remained a program in the Department of Aeronautical Engineering until 1941, when it became the Department of Meteorology in the School of Engineering, Course XIV. In 1946 the course number changed to XIX. In 1957 the Department moved from the School of Engineering to the School of Science. In 1981 the name of the department became the Department of Meteorology and Physical Oceanography, and in 1983 it merged with the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences and became part of Course XII, as the Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences.
1 Cubic Feet (1 record carton)
Language of Materials
In spring 2021, this finding aid was revised as part of a project to publish previously unpublished finding aids. The finding aid was brought up to minimum description standards and any personally identifying information in the description was removed.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Department of Meteorology
- Meteorology -- Study and teaching. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- academic departments Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- administration of employees Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- faculty Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Guide to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Meteorology faculty records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021 April: Edited by Chris Tanguay for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements and to remove personally identifying information from the description.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US