Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Architecture curricula
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The curricula collection was assembled from a variety of sources in the MIT Libraries. More complete information about classes in all years can be found in the annual catalogs of the Institute.
- 1866 - 1942
Intellectual Property Rights
An architecture summer school was held beginning in 1893 to bring students in contact with the practical side of building. The first summer school was held at the World's Fair in Chicago, subsequent trips were made to other parts of the United States and to Europe.
Beginning in 1922 a class in city planning was required for candidates of the Bachelor of Architecture degree. In 1932 the Institute authorized a five year course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Architecture in City Planning and in 1935 authorized the degree of Master in City Planning.
In 1932 the School of Architecture was established as part of the general academic reorganization of the Institute proposed by MIT president Karl T. Compton. The School consisted of the Department of Architecture and later the Department of City Planning (now Department of Urban Studies and Planning).
0.5 Cubic Feet (1 manuscript box, 1 flat box)
Language of Materials
- Shillaber, Caroline. Massachusetts Institute of Technology School of Architecture and Planning, 1861-1961: a hundred year chronicle. Cambridge: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1963.
- "An Outline of a Course of Architectural Instruction," by William Ware, paper read before the Society of Arts of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on the evening of December 21, 1865. (printed 1866)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ware, William R. (William Robert), 1832-1915
- academic affairs Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- academic departments Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- curricula Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Guide to the Curricula of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of Architecture, 1866-1942
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US