Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Mathematics curricula
Scope and Contents
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Department of Mathematics curricula materials span from 1884 to 1979. The collection comprises primarily syllabi and course notes, with some examination questions.
- 1884 - 1979
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
Mathematics was taught at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology from the time the Institute first held classes in 1865. John D. Runkle, second president of MIT, oversaw the mathematics program until his death in 1902; he viewed it as a service department for the instruction of engineers. For many years the mathematics department was Section III of Course IX, General Studies.
In 1933, under the direction of MIT president Karl Taylor Compton who strengthened the study and research of scientific disciplines at the Institute, mathematics became an independent department, designated Course XVIII in the School of Science.
1.3 Cubic Feet (3 manuscript boxes, 1 large flat box)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Department of Mathematics
- academic affairs Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- academic departments Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- curricula Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Preliminary Inventory to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of Mathematics Curricula, 1884-1979
- Ready For Review
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021 October 15: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US