Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Office of the President, records of Charles M. Vest
Scope and Contents
The collection comprises records produced by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Office of the President during the tenure of Charles M. Vest. The records span the years of 1990 to 2016. Record topics include the MIT Committee, MIT Corporation, MIT Schools, and MIT centers, laboratories, and programs.
Materials in the collection include: correspondence, mail logs, topic files, speeches, travel records, event and interview video and audio recordings.
- 1990 - 2016
This collection must be reviewed to identify any restricted material before access can be granted. Please submit your requests at least ten business days before your desired visit to allow time for this review. An archivist will respond within five business days to let you know whether your requested material is open. For complete information on this policy, see our Statement on Accessing Institute Records.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
Charles M. Vest (1935-2013) served as president of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) from October 15, 1990 through December 6, 2004. His inaugural ceremony was held May 10, 1991. After leaving the presidency he became president emeritus and professor of mechanical engineering and was a life member of the MIT Corporation.
294 Cubic Feet (880 manuscript boxes, 2 half manuscript box, 1 flat box, 1 folio)
Language of Materials
Materials have been kept as they were originally arranged in the office.
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Office of the President
- Vest, Charles M.
- fund raising Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- governance Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- institutional relationships Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- presidents Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- speeches (compositions) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- trustees Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Preliminary Inventory to the Records of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Office of the President
- Records of Charles M. Vest
- Staff Use Only
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021 February: Accession 2021-011 added to the collection. Description updated by Greta Kuriger Suiter.
- 2021 October 11: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements.
- 2022 April 19: Edited by Thera Webb to include full names of women in collection.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US