Massachusetts Institute of Technology, records of the Committee on the HASS Requirements
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The collection consists of meeting minutes, reports, and correspondence of the Committee on the HASS Requirements, 1985-1986. It also includes background materials used by the committee.
- 1979 - 1986
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
The Committee on the HASS (Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences) Requirements was convened by Ann Friedlaender, Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Science, and Margaret MacVicar, Dean of Undergraduate Education, in July 1985 to evaluate the existing HASS requirements and to propose an alternative structure that would better serve the interest of students and faculty in the technology and scientific disciplines as well as humanities.1 The committee, chaired by Professor Pauline R. Maier of the history faculty, issued a final report in 1986.2
1Report to the President, 1985-86.
2Report of the Committee on the HASS Requirements, MIT, 1986 (T171.M42K.H3 1986)
0.99 Cubic Feet (3 manuscript boxes)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Committee on the Hass Requirements
- academic affairs Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- advisory bodies Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- curricula Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- faculty governance Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- planning Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Guide to the Records of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Committee on the HASS Requirements, 1985-1986
- Ready For Review
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US