Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Commission on MIT Education records
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The collection contains correspondence, minutes of meetings, position papers, memoranda, photographs, slides, questionnaires returned by students and computer tabulation of survey results, reports of commission task forces, drafts of final report, and financial and personnel records. Minutes of meetings, working papers, and drafts of reports document the activities of the commission's planning committee. Records of conferences and courses sponsored by the commission, including tapes and edited transcripts of Knowledge and Values Colloquia and other presentations by guest speakers, are also included.
- 1969 - 1971
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
President Howard W. Johnson of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology established the Commission on MIT Education in 1969 to reevaluate the goals of the Institute, its commitment to knowledge, its relations to society, and its principles and methods of education, research and administration, and to propose appropriate modifications in the Institute's environment and regulations. The final report of the committee was issued in November 1970 as Creative Renewal in a Time of Crisis. The committee consisted of professor of mathematics Kenneth Hoffman as chair, seven other faculty members, and three students.
8 Cubic Feet (8 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Commission on MIT Education. Creative Renewal in a Time of Crisis ; report, November 1970. Cambridge, Mass.: The Commission, 1970. MIT Libraries
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Alberty, Robert A. (1921-2014 January 27)
- Arrowsmith, William, 1924–1992
- Baddour, Raymond F.
- Bodman, Samuel Wright, 1938-2018
- Brown, Gordon Stanley, 1907-1996
- Douglas, Richard Herbert
- Eddleman, Wells
- Ehrmann, Stephen C.
- Elliott, John F. (John Frank), 1920-1991
- Federow, Harold L.
- Fisher, Franklin M.
- Gallager, Robert G.
- Hoffman, Kenneth
- Holley, Myle Joseph, Jr.
- Jackson, Shirley Ann, 1946-
- Kemp, Daniel S.
- Knowledge and Values Colloquia
- Lever, Oscar William, 1944-
- Low, Frances E. (Francis Eugene), 1921-2007
- Luria, S. E. (Salvador Edward), 1912-1991
- Mann, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1857-
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mollo-Christensen, E.
- Parlett, Malcolm R. (Malcolm Richard)
- Perkins, Frank E.
- Reed, Adam Victor
- Riesman, David, 1909-2002
- Ross, John, 1926-2017
- Rubenzahl, Ira Henry
- Schwartz, Stephen Mark
- Schützenberger, Marcel P.
- Senturia, Stephen D., 1940-
- Smullin, Louis D. (Louis Dijour)
- Snyder, Benson R.
- Sporn, Philip, 1896-1978
- Steinberg, Arthur Richard, 1937-
- Thurow, Lester, C.
- Trilling, Lionel, 1905-1975
- Trow, Martin A., 1926-2007
- Ward, F. Champion, 1910-2007
- Willmore, Kathryn A.
- Preliminary Inventory to the Records of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Commission on MIT Education, 1969-1971
- Ready For Review
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US