Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Patent Management Committee records
Scope and Contents of the Collection
This collection contains minutes, correspondence, and agendas of meetings (1931-1960) of the Patent Policy Committee of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It also includes minutes, correspondence, and memoranda of meetings of the Patent Management Committee from its founding in 1942 until 1968. Also included are minutes of joint meetings of the Patent Committee and the Patent Management Committee.
- 1931 - 1968
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
A Committee on Patent Policy of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was first discussed in an April 15, 1932, statement to the staff of the Institute. Members of the committee were appointed September 7, 1932. The committee addressed questions of inventor ownership and equity for inventors. During World War II, as research increased and more patent issues arose with government and industrial contracts, the Patent Committee, which was composed of faculty members, recommended the creation of an administrative unit to handle business and legal issues. Following that recommendation, the Patent Management Committee was established on December 10, 1942.
The Technology Licensing Office currently administers patents and licensing at MIT.
0.6 Cubic Feet (2 manuscript boxes)
Language of Materials
- Inventions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Committee on Patent Policy
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Patent Management Committee
- advisory bodies Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- patents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Records of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Committee on Patent Policy and the Patent Management Committee, 1931-1968
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US