Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Mu Chapter records
Scope and Contents
This collection was compiled by the Association of Independent Living Groups (AILG) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for the MIT 150th Anniversary Archives Project. The majority of the materials relate to The Campaign for 530, a fundraising drive in the late 1990s by the Alpha Mu trust that raised $1.7 million to renovate the fraternity's chapter house. Other materials include an invitation to the 2003 Centennial Founders' Day Weekend and a report on the chapter's financial status, dated May 2003.
- 1998 - 2003
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
The Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity was chartered in 1850 at the University of Pennsylvania, and the Alpha Mu Chapter, also referred to as
Skullhouse, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was founded on October 16, 1903. The fraternity's current chapter house at 530 Beacon Street in Boston was purchased in 1916. In 1996, the Alpha Mu trust began The Campaign for 530, raising $1.7 million to renovate the chapter house.
0.3 Cubic Feet (1 manuscript box)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Phi Kappa Sigma. Alpha Mu Chapter (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- campus activities and participatory groups Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- fraternities and sororities Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- fraternity and sorority pledging Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- fund raising Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- student life Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- students' societies Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Guide to the Records of the Phi Kappa Sigma Fraternity at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Dana Goblaskas
- (Copyright 2011)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021 October 8: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US