Records of Howe, Manning and Almy, Inc. and the papers of Lois Lilley Howe, Eleanor Manning O'Connor, and Mary Almy
The emphasis of the firm was on domestic architecture and the partners did both building and remodeling. They were interested in urban housing problems and worked with the Architects' Small House Service Bureau of Massachusetts and the Boston Housing Association throughout the 1920s and 1930s. They submitted small house designs to the Department of the Interior for the Subsistence Homestead Communities, remodeled apartments for the Lynn Slum Clearance Project, and developed housing in Mariemont, Ohio. Materials of the firm include correspondence, financial data, reports, specifications, photographs, blueprints, drawings, and research materials that document the firm's projects and commissions.
The collection also includes personal papers of the three architects including illustrated travel diaries, watercolors, sketchbooks, and architecural scrapbooks. Records from Eleanor Manning O'Connor's private architectural work after 1937 and material from the Seventeen Associated Architects are included. There are a number of documents about the Howe family in the personal papers of Lois Lilley Howe.
- 1883 - 1972
- Manning, Eleanor (Person)
Intellectual Property Rights
25 Cubic Feet (21 record cartons, 4 manuscript boxes, 1 half manuscript box, 6 flat storage boxes, 1 small box, 1 roll, 54 oversize folders)
- “An Alumna’s Architectural Career,” Technology Review, vol. 66, no. 2 (December, 1963), pp. 21, 38.
- Cole, Doris. The Lady Architects: Lois Lilley Howe, Eleanor Manning and Mary Almy: 1893-1937. New York: Midmarch Arts Press, 1990. MIT Libraries: NA737.H857.C65 1990.
- Howe, Lois Lilley. Details from Old New England Houses, Measured and Drawn by Lois L. Howe and Constance Fuller. New York: The Architectural Book Publishing Co., 1913. MIT Libraries: NA707.H856
- Almy, Mary
- Architects Small Housing Bureau of New England
- Architecture and women.
- Boston Housing Authority
- Boston Society of Architects
- Emerson, William
- Housing Association of Metropolitan Boston
- Howe, Lois Lilley
- Howe, Manning & Almy
- Manning, Eleanor
- Mariemont (Ohio) -- History.
- Massachusetts Civic League. Housing Committee
- Massachusetts Federation of Planning Boards
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Women's Association
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Cheney Room
- National Housing Conference (U.S.)
- O'Connor, Johnson
- Poor -- Housing.
- President's Conference on Home Building and Home Ownership (1931 : Washington, D.C.)
- Seventeen Associated Architects (Boston, Mass.)
- Simmons College (Boston, Mass.) -- General subdivision--Architecture; Chronological subdivision--1883-1972.;
- Women as architects.
- Women-owned architectural firms.
- Guide to the Records of Howe, Manning & Almy, Inc. and the Papers of Lois Lilley Howe, Eleanor Manning O'Connor, and Mary Almy
- Mary Jane McCavitt
- Copyright 1980
- A grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities supported the processing of materials in 1980.
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 13 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 15 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 16 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 17 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 18 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 19 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 20 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 21 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 22 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 23 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 24 (Mixed Materials)
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US