Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Oral History Program, oral history interviews on MIT-California Division of Highways Project
No requestable containers
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The collection consists of 17 oral history transcripts from participants from the MIT Transportation and Community Values Project created by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Oral History Program and a guide to the published materials. Interviewees from MIT include: Frank Colcord, Urban Systems Laboratory senior research associate; Frank Koppelman and Lance Neumann, graduate students in the Department of Civil Engineering; Wayne Pecknold, assistant professor of civil engineering; and Paul Roberts, professor of civil engineering. Interviewees from the California Department of Transportation include: Robert Adams, Neil Dunham, William Shaefer, Charles Whitmarsh, and Lawrence Wieman of the Division of Planning; George Gray, Jack Peddy, and Paul Talbot of the Division of Highways; Robert Fisher, field work supervisor; Calvin Lee, field worker; and Stuart Hill, from the advisory panel.
- Creation: 1975 - 1975
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Oral History Program (Organization)
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
Between 1970 and 1974 the MIT Transportation and Community Values Project at the Massachusets Institute of Technology, directed by Professor of Civil Engineering Marvin Manheim, served as consultant to the California Department of Transportation on incorporating community and environmental concerns throughout all phases of the transportation planning process. Following the completion of the project, the MIT Oral History Laboratory (later the Oral History Program), directed by professor Charles Weiner, documented the project by collecting available unpublished and published records, and conducting oral history interviews with some of the MIT and California participants. The project's goal was to examine the value and costs to a university research group of working with a state agency, and the value and costs to a state agency of turning to a university group for consultation.
1 Cubic Feet (2 manuscript boxes, 18 audiocassettes)
Language of Materials
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Lee, Calvin (Engineer) (Person)
- Neumann, Lance A. (Lance Arnold) (Person)
- Pecknold, Wayne M. (Person)
- Peddy, Jack E. (Person)
- Roberts, Paul O. (Person)
- Shaefer, William (Person)
- Talbot, Paul (California Division of Highways) (Person)
- Whitmarsh, Charles C. (Person)
- Wieman, Lawrence (Person)
- Adams, Robert G. (California Department of Transportation) (Person)
- Colcord, Frank C. (Frank Carlton), 1925- (Person)
- Dunham, A. Neil (Person)
- Fisher, Robert Gordon (Person)
- Gray, George E., 1927- (Person)
- Heckeroth, Heinz (Person)
- Hill, Stuart L. (Stuart Lindsey) (Person)
- Koppelman, Frank S. (Person)
- Preliminary Guide to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Oral History Program, Oral History Interviews on MIT-California Division of Highways Project, 1975
- Ready For Review
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US