Louis D. Smullin papers
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The collection documents Louis Smullin's role on the ONR (Office of Naval Research) Advisory Committee on Millimeter Wave Generation and includes correspondence with Charles H. Townes, chair of the committee; memoranda and reports. Also included is a 1939 term paper written for 6.501, an MIT electrical engineering seminar. Boxes 2 through 17 are unprocessed. (There is no box 4 - renumber boxes?)
- circa 1930-2000
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. School of Engineering. Office of the Assistant Dean for Resource Development (Organization)
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
Louis Dijour Smullin, 1916-2009 , B.S.E. in electrical engineering, 1936, University of Michigan; S.M. 1939, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, was a member of the Microwave Group at the MIT Radiation Laboratory during World War II. He worked at the Federal Telecommunications Laboratory, Inc. from 1945 to 1947, returned to MIT to head the microwave tube laboratory, MIT Research Laboratory of Electronics, 1947-1951, and then headed the Radar and Weapons Division, MIT Lincoln Laboratory from 1951 to 1955. He became associate professor of electrical engineering in 1955, and professor in 1960. He was head of the Department of Electrical Engineering, 1966-1974. He was named Dugald Caleb Jackson Professor of Electrical Engineering in 1973, which he remained until he became senior lecturer emeritus. His research focused on microwave beam tubes, microwave electronics, and plasma dynamics.
16 Cubic Feet (16 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Government consultants Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Johnson, Eric C. (Eric Chester)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Smullin, Louis D. (Louis Dijour)
- Townes, Charles H.
- United States. Office of Naval Research. Advisory Committee on Millimeter Generation
- Preliminary Inventory to the Papers of Louis D. Smullin
- Ready For Review
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 13 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 14 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 15 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 16 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 17 (Mixed Materials)
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US