Frederick J. Adams papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains personal and professional papers of Frederick J. Adams, a professor of the Department of Architecture, and later the Department of City and Regional Planning at MIT. A small number of reports and administrative records of the MIT Department of City and Regional Planning, 1937-1969, and its successor, the Department of Urban Studies and Planning, are included in the collection.
- 1931 - 1978
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
Frederick Johnstone Adams (1901- 1979) studied at the Architectural Association School in London, 1921-1925, and received a BArch 1928, Columbia University. He was a city planner and professor of city planning at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the Department of Architecture and the Department of City and Regional Planning, 1932-1964, where he was in charge of the first professional course in city planning at MIT and later served as head of the department, 1944-1957. Adams was also active in professional organizations including the American Institute of Planners, as a consultant, and served as chair of the Cambridge Planning Board.
0.6 Cubic Feet (1 manuscript box, 1 half manuscript box)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
- Adams, Frederick J. (Frederick Johnstone), 1901-1979
- American Institute of Planners
- City planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Department of Architecture
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Department of City and Regional Planning
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Department of Urban Studies and Planning
- urban planning Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Papers of Frederick J. Adams
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021 October 25: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US