Edward S. Taylor papers
Scope and Contents note
The Edward S. Taylor papers contain material documenting Taylor's professional activities, as well as some personal correspondence. Consulting records, which include correspondence, research notes, reports, and proposals, record the work he did with Bird Machine Campany, 1967-1973; Curtiss-Wright Corporation, 1940-1958; General Electric Company; and Pratt & Whitney Aircraft, 1974-1976. Correspondence, from 1953 to 1974, background material, illustrations, and book reviews relating to his textbook, Dimensional Analysis for Engineers (1974), are included in the collection. Also included are correspondence and descriptions of Taylor's patents, 1931-1983; lecture notes, 1932-1977; MIT correspondence, 1937-1967; articles and technical publications, 1932-1980; and miscellaneous research notes and proposals on engine design and performance. Secondary Flow, a 30-minute black and white film produced by the Education Development Center and featuring Taylor, is included in the collection.
- 1921 - 1990
This collection is open.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
Edward Story Taylor, 1903-1991, received a BS in mechanical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1924. He was appointed assistant professor of aeronautical engineering at MIT in 1934, associate professor in 1937, and professor of aircraft engines in 1942. He founded the MIT Gas Turbine Laboratory in 1946, became professor of flight propulsion in 1962, and retired as emeritus professor in 1968. His primary area of expertise was aircraft gas turbine engines.
2.8 Cubic Feet (2 record cartons, 2 manuscript boxes, 1 half-manuscript box)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Airplanes -- Motors -- Research Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bird Machine Company -- Research and development partnership
- Consulting engineers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Curtiss-Wright Corporation -- Research and development partnership
- Internal combustion engines -- Research. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Gas Turbine Laboratory
- Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Company -- Research and development partnership
- Taylor, Edward S. (Edward Story), 1903-
- Preliminary Guide to the Papers of Edward S. Taylor
- Ready For Review
- Copyright 1992
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US