Joel Moses papers
Scope and Contents
Materials include: correspondence, journals, publications, notes, manuals, transparencies, articles, and notebooks.
- circa 1967-1981
- Moses, Joel (Person)
Intellectual Property Rights
The Project MAC Symbol Manipulator (MACSYMA) system was created largely under Professors Moses and William A. Martin’s supervision in the MATHLAB Project between 1969 and 1983. The MIT Laboratory for Computer Science (LCS) gave Moses the LCS Achievement Award for his work on MACSYMA in 1984. (2)
Moses also served many other leadership roles at MIT including Dean of Engineering (1991-1995), Provost (1995-1998), Interim Director of Engineering Systems Division (2006-2007), and Acting Director of the Center for Technology, Policy and Industrial Development (2007-2010).
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology Office of the President. “Report of the President and the Chancellor 1977-78,” 1978. http://dome.mit.edu/handle/1721.3/59059.
2. ———. “Report of the President 1983-1984,” 1984. http://dome.mit.edu/handle/1721.3/59065.
52.3 Cubic Feet (52 record cartons, 1 manuscript box)
Language of Materials
Processing Information note
- Preliminary Inventory to the Papers of Joel Moses
- Ready For Review
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2020 June: Biographical note by Christopher Donnelly added.
- 2021 October 8: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US