Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Committee on Graduate School Policy records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains minutes of the Committee on Advanced Degrees and Fellowships; and minutes and agendas of meetings of the Committee on Graduate Courses and Scholarships, the Committee on the Graduate School, and CGSP. Also included are supporting documents about curriculum, enrollment, and the awarding of degrees, fellowships, and scholarships. Committee minutes are partially indexed. Some issues involving individual students are discussed in minutes, reports, and supporting documents. Material involving student privacy is restricted.
- 1901 - 1988
This collection must be reviewed to identify any restricted material before access can be granted. Please submit your requests at least ten business days before your desired visit to allow time for this review. An archivist will respond within five business days to let you know whether your requested material is open. For complete information on this policy, see our Statement on Accessing Institute Records.
Conditions Governing Use
Access to collections in the Department of Distinctive Collections is not authorization to publish. Please see the MIT Libraries Permissions Policy for permission information. Copyright of some items in this collection may be held by respective creators, not by the donor of the collection or MIT.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Committee on Graduate School Policy (CGSP), established in 1950, is a standing committee of the faculty that exercises general overview of graduate programs and students working for advanced degrees. Its responsibilities include: providing guidance on admissions policies and procedures; granting scholarship and fellowship awards; advising on the conditions of appointment to graduate student staff; evaluating proposals and making recommendations to the faculty on the adoption of new graduate degree programs; evaluating proposals for the termination of existing programs; and making recommendations on calendar changes, examinations, and grading. The Committee on Graduate School Policy consists of the dean of the Graduate School as chair, the associate dean of the Graduate School, the dean of student affairs, the director of admissions, the associate chair of the faculty, the registrar, one elected member of the faculty from each department authorized to recommend candidates for advanced degrees, one member of Whitaker College faculty, and any additional member nominated by the president upon the recommendation of the dean of the Graduate School to represent interdepartmental fields of study. Some of the responsibilities of the CGSP were carried out by its predecessors: the Committee on Advanced Degrees and Fellowships, 1901-1923; the Committee on Graduate Courses and Fellowships, 1923-1932; and the Committee on the Graduate School, 1932-1950.
3.6 Cubic Feet (11 manuscript boxes)
Language of Materials
Materials are stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use.
Processing Information note
Some collection descriptions are based on legacy data and may be incomplete or contain inaccuracies. Description may change pending verification. Please contact the MIT Department of Distinctive Collections if you notice any errors or discrepancies.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Committee on Graduate School Policy
- academic affairs Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- advisory bodies Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- curricula Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- faculty governance Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- fellowships Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- graduate students Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- planning Subject Source: Thesaurus for Use in College and University Archives
- Preliminary Inventory to the Records of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Committee on Graduate School Policy
- Ready For Review
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021 October 18: Edited by Lana Mason for compliance with DACS single-level optimum requirements.
Part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Libraries. Department of Distinctive Collections Repository
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307 US